Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Shack Factor

About a month ago I read The Shack, the controversial bestseller by William P. Young. I'm not going into a detailed analysis here, or trying to make a call on the book's theological validity (which would certainly be arrogant and probably erroneous).

But as someone pursuing a career in Christian publishing, several things fascinate me.

First of all, I'm just going to say it--the book is poorly written. Think 8th grade creative writing class. A cliché every other paragraph and characters about two inches deep. (I didn't know until today that the book was originally self-published. See this article for more.)

So here's a book that breaks just about every rule of good writing, but shoots to the bestseller list and impacts millions of lives. People who love this book, love this book. It seems to most deeply touch those dealing with grief--I originally read it because a friend told me how much it had helped in the healing process.

This is exactly why I want to work in publishing--to bring people closer to God through words. And also why The Shack fascinates me. What makes it successful on this most important of levels? Or is it successful at all?

Some suspect that the God presented in the story is not the God of the Bible, but a dangerous piece of mystic universalism. I understand both sides, and though I didn't find the book spiritually misleading, I'm not handing out copies after church either.

But if this book is bringing people closer to God, I want to know why. And the bigger question--can Christian bestsellers retain any credibility in the crush of consumerism? Or will The Shack go the way of The Purpose Driven Life--complete with wall-hangings and embroidered pillowcases?

3 comments:

  1. Well I've been told I should read the Shack as well. Be honest- is it worth my time? Because I have a stack of books that are begging for my attention and I want to know where (if at all) on my priority list this should go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read it either. My mom owns a copy and loved it and recommended it to me, but I haven't got around to it. I am interested to see what all the hype is about, though.

    Such an interesting phenomenon to look at from a publisher's perspective, how a book can be poorly written but still sell thousands and thousands of copies and impact so many lives. In certain situations, content is so much more important than style!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Melissa: In certain situations, content is so much more important than style!

    I am realizing this more and more. Still, as an English major, it's hard to swallow! =P

    ReplyDelete