Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Recession = Depression?

Call me naive, but I find the idea of an economic downturn vaguely exciting.

I say this hesitantly and with deep sympathy toward anyone who has recently lost a job or a house--I know the recession's consequences can be tragic and undeserved.

But on a national and personal level, I think this season of "tightening our belts" is a wholesome thing.

Maybe it's the increased sense of community that only comes from shared hardship.
Making sacrifices that ultimately strengthen us.
Rediscovering the role of work--to provide material needs, not to validate our existence.

During college, I unconsciously relied on my grades as proof that I was "worth something." Out in the real world, however, that proof is usually linked to a job--a salary--a corporate title. When you don't have one, it's easy to feel like a loser.

But just like a good GPA isn't a guarantee of happiness or success, neither is a prestigious job.

And in this economic climate, that's a good lesson to learn.

2 comments:

  1. "Tightening our belts" is a good thing and a necessary thing right now.

    I am a little disturbed about what this means to my job prospects this summer and moreover next year (if I don't go to grad school) however. I think you might be right- right now the best thing to do might be attending school.

    ReplyDelete