Friday, February 13, 2009

God-state

Like a lot of people these days, I've been paying more attention to the news. I catch bits of talk radio or see the headlines about the stimulus plan or Obama's latest press conference.

The last two weeks I've also visited my parents' small group, where they've been discussing the role of the state. One of the points went like this:

-When we view human nature as essentially good, we turn to socioeconomics as an explanation for evil
-Thus, the role of "saving" humanity falls into the hands of the state, which is supposed to improve social circumstances, income, healthcare, etc.
-Ultimately the state becomes a surrogate God

Now I get this. What bothers me more is that Christians buy into this idea in a different way. We turn to the state to legislate morality (and get piping mad if it doesn't), rather than focusing on how we are living and influencing others.

I'm not saying Christians shouldn't lobby to overturn Roe vs. Wade or oppose gay marriage. But I think there's a problem when we invest more energy in changing a law rather than changing lives.

This is a controversial one--I welcome debate.

4 comments:

  1. Though you welcome debate with this post you are not going to get it from me because I totally agree. Yes, this is an incredibly difficult subject and Christians do have a duty to influence the state in a positive way. That being said, the real change needs to happen in lives, not legislation, and I certainly do not have faith in the state to overturn the moral fabric of Americans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay I agree. Mostly.

    I 100% agree that we shouldn't invest energy into changing law rather than lives. It is so frustrating to watch Christians waste time on policy when they act mainly out ofanger and naivete. Meanwhile they continue to confirm people's stereotype about Christians, which is one of the reasons people want to stay far away from the church.

    I also agree that people have the right to lobby for whatever they want. If Christians want to lobby against Roe v. Wade they can. Respectfully and in an educated manner. For example: our friend who participates in Life Advocates is very educated and thoughtful in their decisions and statements. I understand and I really appreciate it.

    I think you know me and my views well enough to know why I qualified my "I agree" with "mostly." If not it will make a fascinating e-mail. I would probably need great length to explain and a good deal of time to choose my words carefully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete