Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Motivation

I know, two posts in two days...what is the world coming to?

But I feel strangely motivated to write. No doubt this will be short-lived...but here's one thing I hope is not.

Tonight I went to a discussion group hosted by a few members of the Anglican church I started going to a couple months ago. The group is loosely based around the books Radical by David Platt and Christianity Beyond Belief by Todd Hunter. I found this time immensely refreshing on several levels. Following a challenge from David Platt, several people in the group are reading through the Bible in one year.

So I decided I want to try. There's several reasons, probably, but foremost is that I am not doing a very good job without a plan. Last night I spent about thirty minutes reading Gods and Generals and about thirty seconds glancing at the Psalms before I decided to go to sleep. Also, and this is slightly concerning to me, but I am the sort of person who likes lists and plans. I like getting a syllabus at the start of a class--marking off the reading chapters, knowing exactly how much I have to accomplish and when in order to reach a goal. Now I readily admit that is often a weakness. You can't chart out a relationship, especially with God, in this way--ticking off chapters is no sign of real commitment or change. But even relationships have their disciplines and habits. And I've neglected this one long enough.

So here's to motivation, and the chronological reading plan I'm starting...now.

1 comment:

  1. I love a plan as well! On the plus side, when I arrived at Bible Collage I was one of the only students who had read through the Bible entirely, all because of my love of lists and plans. The Lord had the last laugh however, I am sure that He was pleased with my studiousness in our relationship, but then He had the nerve to shake things up. I was invited to join a ladies bible study which had a book and homework in the word and a video. I almost refused because...if I did the study I would not have time to read through the whole Bible that year. I am sure that He and the angels use me as an inside joke on numerous occasions for it took that icky inner feeling of disobedience before I let go of my read-the-whole-bible-every-year-for-the-rest-of-my-life dream and joined the study. Of course we grew so much closer because of it. So if you catch yourself worrying about your list/plan tendencies, just say a little prayer for me, knowing that I am so so much more terrible than you are! And enjoy reading the whole Bible, there is a lot to be learned about our Lord and His fierceness and love and tenderness in some of those near/hidden old testament books. So so much. Hmmmm...I kind of blabbered on didn't I, oops.

    ReplyDelete