Friday, April 15, 2011

Homesick

This post has been marinating in my brain for several months now; no doubt it will end up saying less than I wish.

But, given that my fellow 2010 MA Publishing students officially graduate tomorrow, my thoughts again return to England and Oxford, and I have to admit that I'm homesick. That's not to say I don't enjoy Colorado and my work here. On the contrary--lately I've started taking walks in the evenings when I get home from work, and the beauty of the Rockies makes me stop and stare every time. The crisp air tinged with woodsmoke. The fleeting sight of deer running like shadows over a neighbor's lawn. The rugged, undiluted Western beauty of this place cannot be denied.

It is still not home, though. Even when I was in England, I tried to figure out what made me love it so much. The best way I can describe it is peace between you and your surroundings. It's almost as if that place has a personality, that it understands you, reaches out and touches you.

Recently I read a question in a book-discussion guide. It asked if you would be willing to die to defend a piece of land. Would it be your country? State? The home you grew up in?

I've been listening to The Grapes of Wrath on CD as I drive to and from work, and Steinbeck's description of the land...the land your ancestors have bled and died on, the land you've worked with your bare hands, that has fed you and your family...that is land you will fight and die for. That land is part of you.

I guess the closest thing I have to that is Oxford.

3 comments:

  1. It seems to have crept into your very soul. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live at a remote Bible Camp that is on an Alpine meadow in the Cascades. Not as enormous and shocking as the rockies, but truly this place is home. My great aunt bought 200 acres here from a dairy farmer before I was born, and then donated some land for my grandparents to start the camp. My father left his pastorate to move us here and work at the camp, my husband (the perpetual kid) has worked here for almost 12 years, and though all the world is full of splendors, this quiet mountain meadow is all the glory that I need. I know what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "It's almost as if that place has a personality, that it understands you, reaches out and touches you." This is the perfect description, my friend. After watching the Royal Wedding (couldn't help it!), I was transported back to my brief stay across the pond. And I too wondered what it is about England that captivates me so much. I think you've answered my question beautifully. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete