Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Light

Candles are forbidden in dorm rooms. On both sides of the Atlantic.

So in the last few months, after moving into a real house, I've been making up for lost time. Early in December I bought one of those evergreen-scented candles, one of my few attempts at Christmas decorating.

I've been in the process of settling into a new room, and along with a bedspread and bookshelf, I bought a candle that I burn nearly every night when I get home. What's interesting to me, though, is why a little flame in a glass jar is so appealing to the modern homemaker/newly hatched college student. It serves almost no practical purpose. My bedside lamp provides all the light I need, and if I want my room to smell like sandalwood, I can buy Febreze and not bother with matches and lingering hints of sulfur.

Why the entire aisles devoted to candles? Like a real wood fire, why do they mean cozy, romantic, comforting ... even mysterious?

Is it nostalgia--a longing for a past time? Yet I'm sure none of us seriously want to go back to lighting our homes with oil lamps. If it is nostalgia, it is very confined. Odd how the old-fashioned things become luxuries ... candles are far less efficient than light bulbs. Baking bread costs more than buying it. And don't get me started on ebooks.

We'll move past the 40-watt bulbs, too. But even then I doubt they'll gain the allure of the candle. There's something about the living flame.

4 comments:

  1. I love being able to lean over and flick a light on. With that said, candles reach down into my very soul whispering of all those mysterious worlds I read about. I once heard fire described as a link to our past. (shoulder shrug) Who knows for sure, but I'm with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm I do love candles. When one of my children isn't burning up a crayon in one of them. We have to be quite paranoid in order to light one. Usually after my boys are in bed. But your right, something special there. But man do I love my Nook! How about this...candle light with which to read my Nook. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ereading and candles...I like it! My boyfriend just gave me a Nook for Christmas...I'm going to have to try that out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooohhh....I will lend you books if you want. I have a nook too ;)

    ReplyDelete