Friday, May 8, 2009

Reading Disorder

My eyes are bigger than my stomach. Especially when it comes to books.

Thanks to the local library system, I indulge myself with armloads of books I couldn't afford. It's only slightly more likely that I'll read them all. For instance, I came home today with

The Children of Hurin -- J.R.R and Christopher Tolkien (as a proud LOTR freak in adolescence, I need to at least attempt this)
The Year of Magical Thinking -- Joan Didion (recommended at the writers' conference as an example of a great memoir)
Taliesin -- Stephen Lawhead (another conference recommendee. Looks a bit D&D, nerdy-homeschooler-type, but I'll give it a shot)
The God Delusion -- Richard Dawkins (cause I figure it's good to read what atheists actually think, instead of reading rebuttals to them)
The Dawkins Delusion -- Alister and Joanna McGrath (for dessert)

I admit, I bought my mom a book for Mother's Day. But at least I'm making brunch too.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're reading Dawkins. I think it's extremely important for Christians to read books like that and gain an understanding of what other people really think and believe about God...and WHY.

    I have read The God Delusion, and I have to say that Dawkins raises some very provoking arguments...things that most Christians have probably never even thought of before, because...we just don't think that way. Then I read The Dawkins Delusion to see what rebuttals McGrath came up with (Alister McGrath was based until recently here in Oxford...he's now in London...and came to speak at my church!). The man is fantastic. :o)

    Ahhh, reading disorders. There is only one cure for those...BECOMING A PUBLISHER!! ;oD

    ReplyDelete
  2. We didn't learn about this disorder in abnormal psychology, so your behavior might not be a disorder... is it deviant, distressing, dysfunctional and dangerous?

    It is probably dysfunctional if your work suffers....

    ReplyDelete